From:
Larry Atlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 02:29:37 -0600
David Gillett wrote:

> On 24 Mar 98 at 23:15, michael wrote:
>
> > win95 doesn't recognize my new 24x cd-rom drive.
>
>   The only such scenario that I've seen, personally, was fixed when I
> uninstalled bus-mastering EIDE drivers.  The CD-ROM drive didn't like
> them.

I have a similar problem except in DOS.  Installing a new drive in a
486-66, the system refuses to recognize the CD-ROM drive, a Creative
Labs 620e.  The message is 'No Devices Detected.  Aborting Installation'
when the CD-ROM device driver attempts to load.  The system now has a
generic IDE drive controller as the primary and a Promise EIDEMax as the
secondary controller to support a 1.2GB and a 2.0GB hard drive (both
Western Digital).

I've tried the CD-ROM as a slave on the primary, as a master on the
secondary.  I've tried the secondary controller at IRQ 12, 14, and 15.
All with the same result.  I found some info on the Promise web site
that indicates that the EIDEMax is a bus mastering device and will not
support CD-ROM drives so I intend to try putting the CD-ROM on the
primary controller and the hard drives on the secondary.  I've
reinstalled the software and even tried a different CD-ROM drive with no
success.

This drive worked in this machine fine from a Sound Blaster drive
controller card as the secondary, a 1.2GB HD on the primary using an
OnTrack DDO, and running DOS 6.0 and Windows 3.1.  I figure that I'm
missing something simple.  Something basic in the hardware
configuration.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
--
Larry Atlow                          Internet:[log in to unmask]
Microcomputer Analyst                Phonenet: (601) 264-9639