From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 00:48:40 -0700
  Are you using a 56K modem?

  I used to have a similar problem fairly frequently with mine.  My ISP
suggested adding about three commas to the end of the phone number -- each
causes a pause of about two seconds.  According to them, this improves the
odds that the 56K auto-negotiation process will reach a stable result.
  I can't remember when was the last time I had a session hang the way you
describe.  Adding those commas seems to have done the trick!

David Gillett

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com