From:
"Paul A. Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2011 22:19:50 +0000
Greetings--

I, too, have had some problems with IE9, though I don't have or use (or want to have or use) as many toolbars as you describe*.  All I can think of to try is to go to the MS web site and download IE9 using whatever Administrator options allow for downloading the 'redistributable' installation package, save it in a folder all its own, then reinstall it (looking along the way for whatever options might allow IE9 to be more "flexible" regarding toolbars).  I have a suspicion that the Google toolbar and the Norton toolbar may be *subtly* in conflict, given Google's use of personal data.  [Color me paranoid, but nowadays we should all color ourselves paranoid.]  You said your desktop will allow both of these, but are they (your desktop and laptop) both fully MS updated, are they both full 64-bit, and are all privacy settings matching?  There is quite a large number of custom setting boxes that can be checked or un-checked on the privacy tab for IE, and it would be wise to see if these all matched between the working desktop and the non-working laptop.

*The Norton Toolbar may "refuse to work" because of your stored passwords, given that Google has a nasty habit of "harvesting" almost everything it can find.  Norton may even see it as malware, so, if it (the Google Toolbar) is 'permitted', Norton may not "want to run" as a toolbar. ... just a thought from my paranoid mindset.

Other than that (these?), I have no other intuitive suggestions.

Good luck.

Paul A. Shippert

School Librarian

Margaret Brent Middle School