From:
Len Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 1998 13:20:26 +0100
>>Can anyone advise me if my scsi2 scanner would work with an
>>upgraded motherboard that has an onboard UW SCSI controller
>>or would I need to add in a scsi 2 card.
<snip>
>but for a little more money I would get a cheap host adapter for the scanner
>alone, and leave it off the UW bus completely, you don't want that sucker
>slowing down your disk access if you paid a bunch of money for a UW HD.

"and leave it off the UW bus completely"
Unless you are seriously short of SCSI bus bandwidth
or have a time-critical process on the bus
(in which case _it_ should have its own private bus),
I doubt that you will notice any difference from
the mix of peripherals on the bus: remember that
the SCSI devices are intelligent and SCSI commands
can be overlapped (unlike IDE).

Where you _might_ benefit from having a separate controller is
in termination independence and cable length:
* if the the scanner is on an independent bus then whether it is
  connected or switched on is of little conseqence unless you
  intend to use it, whereas if you have a combined internal and
  external bus you must ensure it is _always_ correctly terminated
  for your SCSI devices to work (though that needn't mean you
  have to keep your scanner on);

* you probably won't need to worry about cable length
  read "How long can my SCSI bus be?" (see table below)
  <http://www.ultranet.com/~gfield/gary/scsifaq.html#_Hlk407004683">

  and asynch devices on the other bus may run faster on a short bus
  read discussion in "Is the NCR 53C90 Faster than spec?"
  <http://www.ultranet.com/~gfield/gary/scsifaq.html#_Hlk410546217> .

From the SCSI FAQ <http://www.ultranet.com/~gfield/gary/scsifaq.html>
"The SCSI length limits are based on the speed of the fastest device
attached to the bus. Here's a table which shows the limits:

Speed of FASTEST device   Max. single-ended bus length
5 MHz (SCSI1 synch.)            6 metres

10 MHz (SCSI2 FAST)             3 metres(not rec.)

20 MHz (Ultra or Fast20)        1.5 metres(not rec.)

40 MHz (Ultra2 or Fast40)       Only differential connections allowed"

Len Warner <[log in to unmask]> WWW Pager http://wwp.mirabilis.com/10120933

Chaos reigns within.              Haiku error message
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.               -- Suzie Wagner