From:
Dan Dias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 08:05:01 -0700
Yes, it absolutely sounds like a power supply issue. I've experienced it
before. Ideally one should have a 300W model, particularly if it's an AMD
processor.

At 02:56 AM 6/6/2003 +0100, Michele wrote:
>Had a similar problem recently when I removed a rewriter from a system my
>son had been using.
>It was fine when I restarted, and then the C drive just seemed to disappear
>gradually, as though it was dying out. It started off by becoming sluggish,
>so I scanned it, restarted, and it disappeared completely.
>My first thought was a virus, but I have an antivirus installed with up to
>date definitions.
>I changed cables, thinking that was my problem, and eventually began to
>think the hard drive had seen better days. It hadn't given any trouble until
>the time I removed the rewriter.
>The cdrom was showing at every boot, but it was just the hard drive which
>wasn't registering.
>After alot of thinking, I decided to give it one last try, and changed the
>power supply cables around, and it worked.
>Both drives now register every time as they always did before.
>My conclusion is that I must have knocked the power cable loose when I
>removed the r/w, and not realised.
>I would suggest that you double check the power supply by rearranging the
>power cables, as I had already tried wiggling the cables myself, and for
>some reason it still didn't do the trick until I changed them round
>completely.
>Hopefully your problem is as simple as this.
>Michele Sayer

Daniel A. Dias
Tech, Computer & Network Support
Innovative Business and Information Services (IBIS)
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL)
P.O. Box 808 L-664
Livermore, CA 94551
( 925-423-5638