Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 00:08:40 -0600
Yes, that will work. With the new drive connected as slave,
in Windows, open the MS-DOS Prompt window and type
xcopy c:\ d:\ /r/i/c/h/k/e/y
and hit enter.
When that finishes, shut down, open the case, switch the jumpers to
make the new drive master and the old drive slave, (or leave the
old drive out), and boot up in your new hard drive.
I know that sounds counter-intuitive to copy C: while C: is in use and
windows is running, but it works!

Before doing this, you might first want to create partitions on the
new drive, or at least make the new drive an Active, (Bootable) partition.
You can use fdisk- it seems to work OK from the ms-dos prompt in windows.
Make the first partition Active, (bootable), or the whole drive active, if
using one giant drive. Just reboot after fdisking and make sure you know
which drive letter is the first partition on the new drive, and adjust the
xcopy command accordingly. (It should show up as D:, but ??).

I did this 2 weeks ago but used partition magic to set up my partitions and
could have used partition magic to copy C: to the new drive but I was new to
PM and had already set-up my partitions and wanted to see if xcopy richkey
would really work. It did, with no flaws discovered so far.
Larry Hooper

Changwe Bellingtone Chilangisha wrote:
> I want to replace a 5 GB hard disk with a 20 GB hard disk after which
> I will have to transfer all the files on 5 GB to 20 GB. My question
> is : When copying the files should I connect the 20 GB has slave and
> 5 GB as master and then use xcopy. The OS is win98.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>