From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 09:07:46 -0500
At 07:51 AM 10/25/1998 Tony Lodge wrote:

>>Press F8 when starting up windows.  Choose safe mode.
>>Reset the settings in safe mode.
>>David Hillhouse
>
>Unfortunately,this didn't work.Each time I restart W95 and press F8 it has
>no effect.What do I do now?

Tony:

Edit C:\MSDOS.SYS

NOTE: This file is read only, so to edit this file
you must execute:

    ATTRIB -h -r -s  C:\MSDOS.SYS

Verify you have the following line in "[Options]":

   BootMulti=1

This enables you to use the F4 and F8 keys.

If you ALWAYS want to get the Startup Menu, include
the following statement in MSDOS.SYS:

   BootMenu=1

You'll have 30 seconds to choose before it executes
the default (which is "Normal" boot into Windows).
You can always change this time with the following
statement:

   BootMenuDelay=x

where x is your delay time in seconds. Make it 10
seconds so it will reduce the wait by 20 seconds, if
you decide to leave the Startup Menu in permanently.
If you need more time to decide, press the space
bar.

HTH.

John Chin

                                  -----