Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 12:53:01 +0000
        Hi.

> >Western Digital drives are very good.  You can't go wrong with them.  The
> >6.4g is around $210 now.  IBM Deskstar drives are also good, but it depends
> >on which one you can get a better price on.  Don't get a Bigfoot, Seagate
> >IDE, or Fujitsu IDE.  Those are my opinions.  I don't have any opinions on
> >Maxtor or Quantum (non-Bigfoot) drives.
>

>    Gotta throw in my two cents here... I've used plenty of Seagate and
> Fujitsu drives and haven't had any problems. I'm probably one of the few
> computer builders who doesn't really have a hard drive brand
> preference--I've had good luck with all of the major brands. Except when
> Western Digital had that bad run of Caviars a while back... What a
> nightmare...
> ______________________________
> John Hornbuckle

        Not wanting to argue, I agree more with first post:
        -Seagate: on more than a few, I've seen low reliability on the inner tracks:
simply reading from a trusty CD, writing and again reading, there were differences
(which didn't appear on outer tracks). I wouldn't trust those Seagate's with Conner
origin.
        -Fujitsu: a very strange thing was a 1 GB Fujitsu which resulted VERY slow;
switching to an identical one solved the problem.

        A difficulty with disks is if you get a box of them which has fallen or got
a shock somewhere during transport; eventually all will fail. But mentioned problem
on Seagate-Conner was seen even with different boxes.

Javier Vizcaino. Ability Electronics. [log in to unmask]
  Starting point:        (-1)^(-1) = -1
  Applying logarithms: (-1)*ln(-1) = ln(-1)
  Since ln(-1) <> 0, dividing:  -1 = 1     (ln(-1) is complex, but exists)