From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 03:17:25 -0400
Amy Ledford <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 > I usually place a desktop icon for both the defragmenter
 > and disk cleanup, for ease of use and so that she doesn't
 > forget them. I do this by going to Start, All Programs,
 > Accessories, System Tools...then dragging and dropping
 > the disk defragmenter to the desktop. however, when I do
 > this, the defragmenter, nor any of the other System Tools
 > that I have dragged and dropped, are there anymore.

When you do a drag and drop from the start menu to the desktop,
the shortcuts disappear from the start menu because dragging
anything from one location to another location *on the same
drive* is a move (cut and paste), not a copy and paste. To
copy and paste (leave the original file behind), you need
to hold the <Ctrl> key during the drag.

 > I have only been able to open the defragmenter from Help
 > & Support. Search does not find any results.

If you're doing a Search from the Start menu for files
used in defraging a drive, you may need to explicitly tell
the XP search window to display hidden files. (I suspect that
files that are used to defrag drives in XP are hidden files.
I can't verify this now because I'm not running XP here.)

Regards,
Bill

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>