From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 22:59:01 -0500
     I restarted my machine today and all of a sudden it stopped booting
properly. It would go through all the booting normally and then stop right
before displaying the wallpaper (the start button and everything else is
there). The only way to restart is to hit reset (CTRL-ALT-DELETE works once
and then never again). I did notice however that when it was in this halted
condition the networks cards in the machine would have outgoing activity.
After some safe mode rebooting I noticed that only adapters with NetBEUI
bound to it with Client for Microsoft Networks bound to NetBEUI were doing
this. After some more restarts I found that by removing this binding the
machine would boot normally. This is great, except now I don't have access
to any of my servers! Has anybody ever heard of this problem? I have tried
numerous things (changing browse master settings, trying different bindings)
but nothing seems to work. I have bound Client for Microsoft Networks to
TCP/IP but then I can't browse the network at all! (I have run into that
problem before, for some reason this machine refuses to access windows
drives over TCP/IP, only NetBEUI works) I'd appreciate any suggestions (save
reinstalling windows, that is not an option at the moment). BTW the OS is
Win95B OSR2, I forgot to include that in my original post. Sorry about that.
TTYL