From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 12:39:38 -0400
You get some clue by the pitch, 7200 rpm drive make a nice high pitched
whine while a fan sounds like a fan, especially as while its failing, its
turning slower and slower, and may pulse a bit.
You need to have the case openned for an inspection, since overheating is a
bad thing, but if the noise tends to fade off into a whisper, it will
probably be a $5 fan that's making the noise.