Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 21:36:06 +0100
Dear List Friends,

I bought an Adaptec (used to be Trantor) parallel-port APA-358 MiniSCSI
EPP host adapter to use on my Thinkpad 560 running Windows 95
(pre-installed version 4.00.950).

Windows successfully did a hardware search, found it, installed it and
it shows up in the System folder as working and with no exclamation
marks or 'X's. A correctly installed CD-ROM drive (Plextor, Panasonic
PD, Sony, Toshiba - I have tried them all) attached to the adapter does
not show up, however. In fact, no attached SCSI devices that I have
tried show up under Windows at all.

Termination is active and term-power is on. I have tried SCSI addresses
0-6 (the adapter is on 7), the host adapter always shows up, but
attached devices are never shown.

I don't use a config.sys or autoexec.bat, so there are no entries there.

I installed Adaptec EZ-SCSI 4.0, but when I click on SCSI Explorer I get
an error message "could not initialize ASPI for win32!"

! BUT ! - if I reboot into a DOS session (Win95 DOS box) the CD-ROM
works perfectly.

Two questions:

1) Does anyone have any experience with the APA-358 (previously T-358)
and Win95?

2) Does anyone know what the error message "could not initialize ASPI
for win32" implies? I thought WIN95 automatically provides ASPI support.
(Sorry, I am not very Windows literate, I use OS/2 Warp on all of my
computers except on the Thinkpad, which came with WIN95 preloaded and I
haven't had a CD-ROM until now to install Warp).

I pretty much rule out a hardware failure because the DOS drivers work
fine...or am I jumping to conclusions here? The adapter works fine on a
desktop computer running Warp, with the OS/2 drivers.

I apologize for the length of this request. Thanks for any help.

Respectfully,

Bruce

--
        Bruce Boschek - Haus Christiansruh - Nidda, Germany
[log in to unmask] - CompuServe ID 100331,2566