From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 12:10:40 -0700
At 06:26 PM 2/10/99 , Dave Perry wrote:
>I have a question for those on the list who have businesses building and
>selling computers.
>I love assembling computers with a passion and would like to make a career
>out of it. My ultimate goal is to build and sell to the public.
>When is the right time to put yourself out there and sell to the public. At
>the moment I'm assembling and upgrading for friends but not making any
>profits because I'm treating each new build as part of my apprenticeship.
>In what areas do I need to be the most familiar before I can make the next
>step and sell to the public.

Passion may not be enough to make a business.   One thing you really need
to understand is the value of your time.  Anyone who builds computers for
a living, (living is the primary word here), must understand their time has
value.   You need to keep your overhead as low as possible and you will
need excellent sources for components.  Buying parts, one at a time, at
the retail prices will not allow you to see a profit.

I am not going to tell you that opening a computer business is not profitable,
it can be very profitable.   I do this myself, as do several of PCBUILD's
moderators and Senior Contributors.   This is not my living, understand
that I am fortunate enough to be retired from one career and enjoy this
as a hobby.  But, it is profitable for me and those I know in this business.

If you have only a single year of experience, ten years of experience or
you just started...  you need to be professional, expect to be paid for your
efforts and make a profit on systems you build.  Since you are in New
Zealand, (or so goes your Email address), I cannot give you any ideas
on suppliers.  That is a primary issue.  You need to develope good sources
of components at wholesale/warehouse prices...  or lower.

    Bob
The NOSPIN Group

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html