From:
Phillip Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 2009 14:56:49 -0500
Hi Deb,

 Not sure I can help but a couple of questions come to mind.

 Can you pinpoint a time close to when the problem started? If so,
have you added any programs or games or made any other changes around
that time? You might try a system restore to a date before the problem
just to see if it makes a difference.
Although I'm not sure how far back restore will let you go.

 I would also go to device manager (right-click My Computer /
properties / hardware tab / device manager) and scroll down to see if
the sound device is listed and if there is a yellow exclaimation mark
in front of it or any of the listed drivers. It would probably be good
to check this right after you boot up while the sound is working and
then again after sound has died out.

 I've had some buggy sound issues in the past but this is a new one to me.

Good luck,
-Phil Williams-

On 10/29/09, Debbie <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> For the past several months, the sound level on my PC gradually decreases
> until it it disappears completely, only to return after a re-boot. I have a
> 3 y/o HP Pavillion Slimline desktop with XP, SP2 & all MS updates as
> required.
> After the sound is gone, when clicking on the icon in the taskbar, a dialog
> box appears, stating no sound device is installed & I should re-install. The
> I re-boot the PC & all is normal again!
> Any ideas what is happening here & what I can do to fix it?
> Regards,
> Deb
>
>  Deborah Anderson, [log in to unmask] on 10/29/2009
>
>  "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are
> putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
>          -- Mark Twain
>

>             Do you want to signoff PCBUILD or just change to
>                     Digest mode - visit our web site:
>                    http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml