Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 11:24:24 CST
>Date:    Fri, 18 Dec 1998 18:51:25 -0700
>From:    Steve Face <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I am upgrading from a 200MMX configuration to a Celeron 300A. I also want
>to use this opportunity to upgrade my HD. My first question is how to
>reliably copy my master HD to the new HD. I have used Ghost before and had
>problems with msdos compatibilty. This was fixed by reinstalling Wndows. I
>have heard that xcopy works with the proper switches. I also saw some other
>S/W, Disk Clone.
>My second question is what to expect when the new system boots from the
>cloned HD. At best, I predict removing the Registry files and rebuilding
>through a reinstall of Wndows 98. At worst, I envision a total reinstall of
>Windows 98 along with all my S/W.
>Suggestions please.

Use InfoZIP's zip: zip the partition where the OS is installed with

zip -RS opsys *

This will recurse into all subdirectories (R), include all hidden and
system files (S), get all files with or without extensions (*), and pack
the whole thing into opsys.zip.  Then unzip it into the new partition.  I
have done this with OS/2 versions 3 and 4, so it would surely work for
MSWin.  You won't even have to worry about drive letters, since MSWin must
be in C: (OS/2 can go anywhere, but you can't move it from D: to F: this
way).  You will have to run this from a floppy boot, however.

Phil Parker        [log in to unmask]
Random quote for this second:
  Q: Why do mountain climbers rope themselves together?
  A: To prevent the sensible ones from going home.

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html