From:
Pamela Leming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 01:25:57 -0400
I have a Packard Bell Multimedia R200 Pentium, 200 mhz, 96 MB RAM, Intel
processor and Graphics Blaster RIVA TNT video card.  I was having a problem
with my sound device (Aztec 2320 Compatible PnP).I wanted to be able to do
voice chat over the internet but my sound device kept
locking up when I tried to talk for over 15 to 20 minutes.  Since my system is
a bit old, I decided to upgrade to a SoundBlaster PCI512 sound card.  Since I
couldn't remove the old device, I disabled it in Control Panel Device Manager.
I have a Pioneer stereo receiver that I use to connect stereo speakers to my PC.

Everything seemed to work fine for the first couple of days.  Then, I was
playing back some sound (wav) files and all of a sudden, no more sound.  Windows
Media player would still play the sound
file but nothing coming out of my
speakers.  I fiddled with the speakers for awhile, but nothing.  Thinking my
sound card was somehow locked up again, I rebooted.  I opened the computer,
thinking maybe the PCI slot was bad or something.  I swapped my video card and
my sound card.  I did notice that both of them were a little (actually more than
a little) warm to the touch.  Plugged the speakers back in, still nothing.
Then I got out an old cheap pair of speakers I had and plugged them in.
They worked so I figured it wasn't my sound card that was the problem but the
stereo speakers.  I went out and bougth some new PC speakers for about $60.  I
plugged them in and everything worked fine...for about 30 minutes.  Then the
light on the speakers went out and I couldn't play any sounds.  At the time I
wasn't playing any sounds, but the speakers were on and connected to the sound
card.  I did play a couple of system sounds to ma
ke sure they were working ok
and went on a website where I know the site comes up with music.  Thats when I
noticed that the light on the speaker was NOT on and no sound.  Rebooted, still
nothing.  Got out the old pair of cheap speakers again, plugged them in, and
they work!  I've had them on for about 20 minutes now and still working and I'm
at a website that plays continuous music.  So, just as a test, I plug my NEW
speakers back in...no sound, no nothing.  Plug the old ones back in, it works.

I am at my wit's end on this one.  I know the brand new speakers work cause I
used them for a while tonight then they just conked out on me.  Any ideas,
anyone?  Thanks for any information!

Pam

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html