From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 May 2010 11:00:15 -0400
Kenneth,

Just some thoughts on how I might approach a problem like yours.  If your
laptop has the System Recovery Options installed, I would try running chkdsk
from there with the /R switch added (chkdsk C: /R).  You should be able to
access System Recovery Options by pressing F8 during bootup.  (If System
Recovery Options is not installed, you'll need to boot from a Vista
installation DVD to access this.)  If you can determine the manufacturer of
the HDD, you can download their diagnostic utilities and run them to see if
the HDD is failing.  (Most manufacturers of HDDs have these utilities on
their web site and typically in a form that makes generating a bootable CD
for them easy.)  If you have some sort of operating system on a bootable
disk, such as a linux "live" CD or a "Ultimate Boot CD for Windows" this
should give you some idea if your other hardware (beyond the HDD) is working
properly.  I would think that if you can boot up and run these alternative
OS, which are run from the CD, then the problem resides on or with your HDD
(i.e., corrupted files or failing drive).

Hope this is helpful.

John Sproule