Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 15:42:23 +1200
Chris, my suggestion would be to set your new hard drive as a slave to the
main HDD.  Also, I'd make the CDRW the master on the secondary port, with
the CDRom as the slave.  Enable DMA on all drives.

While I'm on the subject, I think I spotted an earlier enquiry about IDE
(integrated drive electronics) ports.

Most motherboards have two of these.   Some of the latest boards have four -
the extra two being for a RAID (redundant array of independent drives)
configuration.  But that won't concern most users.

These two IDE ports are usually labelled on the motherboard, 'IDE1' and
'IDE2', (tho they're sometimes referred to as IDE0 and IDE1, just to be
confusing)

IDE1 is also known as the 'Primary' IDE port.  IDE2 is the 'Secondary' port.
The 'boot', or main hard drive, (C), is always connected to IDE1.

Each of the two ports can support 2 devices, in which case they're set as
'Master' and 'Slave' on each port  (It's a wonder that this terminology is
still politically correct :--))

So, if four devices are connected to the the two IDE ports, they'll be known
as Primary Master, Primary Slave, Secondary Master and Secondary Slave.

Setting the devices as Master or Slave is accomplished by attaching little
'jumpers' onto a specific pair of pins at the rear of the drive.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

From: "Chris Ryan" Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Windows 98

> I read exactly what your take is Ian and have done the following ( as a
> Win98SE user ):
> 1. Copied, pasted, printed and taped to forehead the exact wording in your
> post,
> 2. downloaded every single item available ( to date ) that involves
security
> issues, patches and upgrades to a folder on the HDD and burned a backup
copy
> CD ( actually two ),
> 3. switched to Mac. ( just kidding )
>
> Thanks for the info Ian.
>
> I'd also like some suggestions on installing a second HDD. Currently I
have
> one HDD, a CD-ROM and a CD-RW with the configuration as follows:
> HDD as primary master,
> CD-ROM as secondary master with the CD-RW as secondary slave.
> Any suggestions for the second HDD? Primary slave maybe? or is there a
better
> choice.
> I have Win98SE and plan to use the second HDD as backup storage.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>