From:
Eric Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 15:42:51 -0500
At 12:53 PM 2/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a Compaq 1700 and a Compaq 5600 of which both have ethernet
>connectors. they are about 50 ft apart. Can I connect them together and
>if so, how? What connections do I use? Gerald Dunn, Newport News, Va

Sure Gerald!  You need an Ethernet Crossover cable to connect to two
together without a hub.  Then you need to install software on each machine
so they can "talk" to each other.  You don't say what operating system you
are using, but in most cases the software is built in to the OS in the form
of a networking protocol.  If you just want to share files, I recommend
using the NetBUI protocol for your first try.  It is very simple to set
up.  If you want to share an internet connection, or play certain types of
games, you may need to install the TCP/IP protocol.