From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 2010 09:13:57 -0500
I'm not sure the problem that this person ran into is related to the drive
being a SSD.  I'm under the impression that enabling AHCI after you've
already installed the operating system can lead to problems.  A quick search
pulled up this MS article on correcting a stop error that can occur if you
do this with Vista or Win7, for example.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976  Apparently, the problem described in
the MS article has to do with the these operating systems disabling drivers
that are not being used, in order to speed up the boot time.  A driver will
need to be manually re-enabled, before changing the BIOS setting to AHCI
enabled.  (I believe this problem can be avoided by enabling AHCI before you
install the OS (and supplying the needed driver using the F6 method, if the
OS doesn't have what is needed).)

I didn't go back to the Tom's forum to make sure this applies in that
person's case, but I thought this information might be of general interest.

John Sproule