From:
Larry Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 22:06:13 -0700
Kevin;
If you have internet access go to :
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/prodhome/hppavilion19287.html
the support page for this model. Looks like the base config. is a AMD K6-2
500 mhz.
the maximum Amd K6-2 is a 550 mhz ( I believe), so you wouldn't gain much
there.
You will need to check if the board will support 550 MHz.
128 mb of ram would help if you don't already have it. Also a 7200 rpm IDE
harddrive
on a ATA/100 controller would speed things up.
A clean install of Windows will also speed it up, as will a dedicated swap
file size.
Other than that overclocking or swapping the motherboard for a Pent II/III
or a
AMD Athlon or Duron is probably the only alternative. You would have to
upgrade the power supply as most Hewlett Packards Pavilions I have seen have
90 - 100 watt PS.
You would probably need a new case to accommodate the new PSupply, as you
have a micro-atx
style PS. that only go up to in wattage to around 145 watts.
 I've been experimenting with the T-bird and Duron CPUs and they seem to be
quite good for overclocking.... most of the socket A cpus over 650mhz will
run close to 1 ghz, with proper cooling
and some slight modification (connecting the L1 bridges ).
Info on "unlocking" AMD cpus -
http://myhome.netsgo.com/wesleycrushr/Hardware/ovr000803a-1.htm