From:
Eric Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:16:25 -0400
At 05:23 PM 8/31/00 , you wrote:
>Hello, I posted this a week ago and did not get any responses. I am
>trying again.
>

>I have an Acer Extensa 390 (P133) notebook that uses a power transformer
>
>to convert AC power. This transformer displays:
>Input 110-240v    81-140A
>Output: 19v  2.4A
>
>What do I need to use this laptop overseas, where the voltage is 240?
>Simply a socket adapter?

I think people may be leery to respond to this without actually seeing the
adapter and set up, but I'll stick my neck out here a little.

 From what you have typed here:  "Input 110-240V - Output 19V 2.4A" it
would seem that this adapter can run on anything between 110V and 240V and
still maintain the proper output to power your laptop without damage.  With
that said, all you SHOULD need is a socket adapter to fit the European
-type sockets.

**BUT**  Be careful.  It is possible that your power adapter has a switch
that needs to be put in the 240V position.  It is also possible that the
voltage may be a bit over 240V depending on where you are travelling and
this could also cause problems.

What I would do to avoid problems completely is to get a good digital, or a
top-of-the-line analog multi-meter.  When you get wherever you are going,
plug in the power adapter BUT DO NOT connect it to the laptop.  Then take
the multi-meter and check the voltage and amperage that it is putting
out.  If it is truly 19V and 2.4A then you can safely connect it to your
laptop.

Good luck and have a safe trip.

Eric

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: