From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2010 01:25:50 -0400
It's always a difficult situation when it comes to replacing a motherboard
on computer that is a few years old.  As has already been stated, the ideal
situation is replacing the motherboard with the same make and model, but
this typically means searching sites like eBay to see what is available.
You may or may not be able to find a used motherboard or perhaps an old
stock motherboard in this manner.  Sometimes you can get away with swapping
out for something that is based on the same chipset and is otherwise very
similar to what was in there (perhaps that is what your computer shop has
done), but, again as has been noted, this may lead to problems when it comes
to reinstalling the operating system, since the recovery disk may be keyed
to an emachine BIOS.

Unfortunately, given the problems that you are having, it looks like a
re-install of the software is in the future, but I don't know if you'll be
able to use the recovery disk that came with the computer, unless you can
come up with an emachine motherboard.  You might be looking at a purchase of
a replacement operating system, as well.  At this point, I don't know if
things are very cost effective, given the cost of a basic new system.

Perhaps you can go back to the folks that did the work and explain that the
replacement motherboard isn't playing well with your current operating
system setup.  See if they are willing and have the means to back up your
data and reinstall the OS, along with the drivers, for this motherboard.
You'll have to have disks to reinstall all your software beyond the OS,
though, since they won't be able to back this up.

If they do this for you and things are working satisfactorily, I'd suggest
using some backup software to make a clone image of your hard drive, since
this will be the only way to replace it in the future, if you should need
to.

John Sproule