From:
George Ockel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 12:49:42 -0400
> It's also okay if you put a terminator resistor on any
> BNC T's that don't have nic's on them.

Putting Terminators on BNC T's will unbalance the trunk cable, cause signal
reflections, and attenuate the signal. Terminators should only be used at
the end of trunk cables.
If multiple terminators are placed on T's they form 50 ohm resistors
connected in parallel and will present to the cable a very low impedance,
effectivily shorting the cable.

> > If the cable is not connected together, then the
> > network will not work.  The cable must be one continuous,
> > unbroken circuit between the two terminating resistors. AND
> > there must be a NIC connected at each BNC-T.

A NIC coax connector connected to a  bnc T presents a high impedance to the
trunk cable minimizing any disturbance to the electrical properties of the
trunk cable.

It is not necessary to have a NIC connected to a tee. You can remove a
workstation from a trunk cable without affecting the network by removing the
tee from the NIC. If you break the trunk portion of the BNC T, you will
bring the network down.

George

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions