From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 18:27:41 -0700
Bob wrote:

> Hello,
>  I have a Compaq 4716, 200 MHz, 88 megs ram, win/98 OS.
> I want to replace the HDD with a new one I don't want it as a slave but I want to copy all to new drive I have a good idea on how to do it but would love some help. I have a 2.5 gig now changing to 15 gig. I would like to have step by step procedure on the changing and copying. Please get real simple, no step is to small to be left out.

If no step is too small to be left out, please avail yourself to these
sites read what they have to say and if anything is relevant to your
situation, copy the instructions and follow step by step. The first
thing I would do is "BACK UP!" the information you don't want to loose.
Secondly, make sure you have made an "Emergency Boot Disk" or a "FAT32
Boot Disk" which is, for the most part a Windows 98 Boot disk. This disk
will allow you to boot into the DOS mode and allow you to use you're
CD-ROM if needed. A raw drive has no information so when you hook it up,
hit the go button, you will go no place. You have to have a starting
point. This is why I recommend that You read the read me to find out how
to bail out in case of a problem and also how to use the "SYS Command".

This article mentions "Windows 95" but the procedure is basically the
same for either operating system. http://www.dansdata.com/sbs1.htm

Another place for instructions is,
http://www.seniorlink.com.au/computing/articles/june2000.shtml

A little something about jumpers.

Mirror copying a hard drive.
http://www.servenet.com/ipiboard/messages/2196.html

<smile> Don't let the term "Senior Link" deter you. Each site and author
has his own way of doing the same thing. Not knowing your level of
expertise and how comfortable you are in doing this, I will give you a
few place that can help you accomplish this task. The important thing
here is to read as much about how to do it, write down what procedure
you want to use and then follow the path to the end and hopefully you
will come out of the forest into sunshine. <smile>

You will have to do an "Fdisk" to set the partition and a "Format" to
set the drive up so the BIOS will recognize it as being friendly. In the
beginning, your present drive will have to remain as the primary or "C"
drive until you properly set up the other drive which for the time being
will be the "D" drive or slave. The pins on the back will have to be set
accordingly for this operation.

I hope this will help you in your endeavor.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's: