From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 05:07:04 -0400
At 02:26 05/26/00, Uzi Paz wrote:
>As you know, if I wish to use a Celeron on a slot 1 motherboard, I need
>an adapter.
>Is the brand/model of the adapter matter? If yes, then in which manner?

Hi Uzi

Yes the brand and model are important....particularly if you are hoping
to overclock your Celeron or upgrade to a Pentium III someday.

The MSI MS 6905 series has been the standard of quality since slotkets
came out. The current model is the "MSI MS-6905 Master v2.0 for Intel
Celeron/Coppermine PPGA/FCPGA processors". It allows you to set Vcore
between 1.65 and 2.50 volts, allows Celerons to work in dual CPU
configurations and costs $25...or a little less.

You would want to get this in case you ever want to upgrade your Celeron
to a Pentium III Coppermine. (The 370 pin PIII Coppermines are not 100%
pin compatible with Celerons and you need to set a switch on the slotket
to allow a Coppermine to
work.)

The Asus 370 slotket is excellent and cheaper...less than $15. It allows
voltage adjustments but doesn't support dual processor configurations or
use with Coppermines. (You want voltage adjustment capability if you have
a motherboard that doesn't allow you to override the default voltage
and you intend to push the processor past its rated speed.) I use one
in my Celeron 550 computer (Asus P3B-F motherboard).

The Iwill "Slotket II" is also excellent, costs about $25, and will
work with Celerons or Coppermine PIII processors. (It is functionally
equivalent to the MSI MS 6905 Master v2.0.)

If you get a no-name slotket, you are gambling on the stability of
the resulting setup...to save what? Five or ten dollars? Is it worth
this gamble? I've heard of cases where a cheap slotket caused a lot
of grief...even at normal clock speeds.

Note that there are three older models of the MSI MS 6905 slotket.
The 6905 v1.0 was for Celerons up to 100 MHz bus speed but lacked dual
CPU capability. The version 6905 v1.1a added dual Celeron capability.
Finally there is the 6905 v1.1b which was supposed to work with
Coppermines but didn't (it was recalled for this reason) and it lacks
instructions for setting voltages over 2.00v...although it does allow
all voltages from 1.65 to 2.50.

I have two MSI 6905 v1.1b in this computer right now. (Two Celeron
366 running at 550 on an Asus P2B-D motherboard.) Unfortunately I
will have to get new slotkets when I upgrade my Celerons to Coppermines.
(And I will do that sometime soon...even though I didn't plan on doing
it at the time I bought the Celerons.)

Regards,
Bill

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: