From:
James Baird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:18:04 -0500
Date:    Wed, 7 Sep 2005 14:36:06 -0400
From:    Dianne <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: WIN Me invalid system disk

Hmmm,
I am getting very frustrated, and don't quite know what to do next.  I
removed all the connectors, the cd, hard drive and floppy and dvd.  The
computer gave me the message that I should "insert the boot diskette into
a:"  So I reconnected the a: drive, and put the boot disk in, back to same
old Invalid system disk message.  So I got another a drive from another
computer and got the same message.  The lights were on on both the a:
drives, by the way.
I cant get into safe mode because the computer will not take me to an A:
prompt.
I then disconnected the HD and connected it into an old computer.  Nothing
happens, not even an error message.  BUT.....I am not sure about the mother
board in the machine I tested it in.  The HD is a Samsung SpinPoint SV0484H.
I am afraid of trying the hard drive in my own computer, as I don't want to
mess around with it, it has all my work in it.  Any suggestions.  Would I be
better to take it in and have it diagnosed somewhere?
Dianne

Have you tried a new drive cable?  Sometimes they do go bad.  Remember to use the same type, 40 conductor or 80 conductor, that came with the computer.  I understand some older drives will not operate properly if an 80-conductor cable is used.  Another possibility is a bad motherboard connection.  I had one with a broke wire from the power connector to the motherboard.  The PC would run on it's side but not if upright.

Jim Baird

IBM: Intentionally Braindamaged Machinery

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com