From:
Stephen Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 21:10:03 -0000
Have you got a X-Over cable?

-----Original Message-----
From: PCBUILD - Personal Computer Hardware discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of
Sent: 09 January 2002 09:15
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] networking

On 8 Jan 2002, at 7:40, David Teitelbaum wrote:

> I am tiring to connect two computers (windows 98) together using
> the network cards. I think I know what im doing and i set up both
> computers properly. I am tiring to use tcp-ip over the network but
> the computers don't recognize each other. I was wondering if there
> is some kind of utility or guide i can follow to locate the
> problem. There seems to be no way of me to know if the computers
> are actually sending messages over the network cable. I will like
> to know at what point am i failing. Please help

  As part of configuring TCP/IP on these machines, you need to have
given each of them an IP address.  On machine A, pull up a DOS window
and type "ping xx.xx.xx.xx" where xx.xx.xx.xx is the IP address you
configured on machine B.  If your cabling and IP address/subnet mask
configuration are correct, this will show round-trip timing
statistics; if your configuration is wrong, it will report timeouts.

  If this doesn't work, please ask again.  And this time, describe
the cabling you are using to connect and the address/mask/gateway
settings on each machine.

David Gillett

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com