From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 1998 18:54:28 -0400

A homeowner can run out and buy a shiny new flashy bauble whenever the
whim strikes them.  Businesses on the other hand have to deal with budgets
and capitol depreciation and other nasty stuff like that.  Even the smallest
ISPs have a bank of 50-100 modems.   Larger ISPs can have several remote
sites that _each_ have hundreds of modems (they are called modem farms).
A rather large equipment investment to just toss out the back door simply
because newer technology is on the verge of being released.

As for the release of V90...  an article I read last week said that
an "official standard" for v90 has not been established -- even though
some vendors have jumped the gun and are selling it.  But since this
isn't my field of expertise, I could be reading old material....

Jim Meagher
Micro Solutions Consulting    Member of the HTML Writers Guild & the
[log in to unmask]              International Web Masters Association