From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 May 1998 10:12:31 -0700
Win95 and Dos7 sees the Cyrix CPU as a 486 or if you are using Win95B as a
CyrixInstead CPU. Some programs and drivers won't accept this as a CPU
capable of running their software even though the CPU exceeds their
requirements. An Example of this is Creative Sound Blaster Drivers with
Creative Wave Synth which uses software to give additional voices to a SB16
and a SB AWE 32 & 64. These drivers require FPU performance of at least a
Pentium Classic 90 which the Cyrix 166 and 200 provide. However Creative
doesn't accept this and the drivers will not install. This might have
something to do with the lawsuit Creative and Cyrix was involved in .
There is software available that will *trick* the OS into thinking that you
are running a Intel Pentium Chip but I have had marginal success with them.
For more information then you want to know about your Cyrix 686L-200  go to
the Cyrix Upgrade guide at http://www.alternativecpu.com/ . You can
download software helpers there.

Mark