From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 11:36:29 -0400
 > Though it might seem a silly matter, I dont really get what OEM really
 > means. I know what every letter means but not the real matter.
 > In a cpu comparison table a read:
 >  "Thundirbird is available in slot A, OEM only"¿?

     OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. Strikcly it means it is
something not available for sale to the public. However in the computer
industry many components are sold to customers in OEM form, because there is
no packaging it is cheaper. In reference to the Thunderbird you will not
find the Slot A version of that chip, AMD is only sending it to big OEMs.

> In other article:
> "...multimedia kit, OEM¿?

    Same thing, it means it is a version of the hardware without retail
packaging and usually without manuals and a few extra goodies.

> In the same table I read:
> ....system bus 100 mhz DDR...100-133mhz GTL¿?

    DDR stands for Double Data Rate. 100MHz DDR means that the part actually
runs at a speed of 200MHz internally since it counts two for every clock
pulse. All Athlons (Thunderbirds, original Athlons and Durons) run at a
100MHz DDR front side bus. GTL is I beleive the name of the protocal used by
the CPU and chipset to talk to one another. I think GTL is the Intel version
but I might be wrong on that. Hope this helped, TTYL

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions