From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 08:07:58 -0400
Michael,

You just need an LPT card.  I have seen these cards selling for as low as
$10US, but be careful, cards that cheap usually do not have a large
selection of settings.

Before purchasing a card, find out which IRQ and I/O settings are still
free and available in your system.
RIGHT-click on MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES, click the DEVICE MANAGER
tab.  Now DOUBLE-click the COMPUTER inside the white part of the dialog.
Click the option button for IRQ and write down which ones are free, then
click the Input/Output option button.

The I/O section is not as straightforward as the IRQs.  In this section
you need to look for gaps between the ending number of a setting and the
beginning number of the next setting.  Also, the numbering system is in
Hexadecimal which uses letters as numbers.  Many of the setting ranges
will end with the letter "F". This is the highest "units" digit, so the
next range should begin with the next "tens" digit --- for example a range
might be 0220 - 022F, in which case the next setting should be 0230 -
something.  If it begins with a number higher than 0230, then there is a
gap which you can might be able to use for the new LPT card.

Now that you have a list of what is available, make sure the LPT card can
use one of those IRQs *AND* the I/O range.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====