From:
Hug Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 01:55:48 -0500
The  original XP Home OS is an OEM version that came with the computer
from a local seller.
 From the replies I got, I'm just as confused as ever.
Apparently, it's not legal, but MS allows it anyway?
But then, Sven says it is legal: "The OS can be legitimately transferred
to new hardware. The EULA defines
hardware as a single computer system, or the computer system with which the
hardware operates if the hardware is a system component. It doesn't matter
if it's been activated in another system."

As  practical matter, it's moot;MS has approved all my changes and the system is working just fine. It makes me wonder how to advise people, however.

Peter Shkabara wrote:

>The lesson here  seems to be that it is dangerous to read the EULA!
>
>Perhaps an attorney on our list may provide a more definitive answer, but my
>understanding of the Microsoft OEM licensing is that the OEM version of the
>OS may only be used with the specific hardware that it was sold with. In
>other words, you may not sell the OS separately - hence the wording in the
>EULA that you found. This does not mean that if you install a retail version
>of the OS that you may not sell or transfer it. The retail version has no
>binding to specific hardware.
>
>The key question for you is "where did you buy your OS?" For example, if you
>got a Dell version of XP Pro, then it may only be used with Dell hardware.
>This does not necessarily mean that Microsoft registration procedure will
>not issue you an activation code on other hardware. It only means that doing
>so would violate the EULA.
>
>Peter
>The NoSpin Group

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: