From:
Paul Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 12:49:09 -0500
On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 17:52:23 -0700, Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I would strongly suspect RAM. The first thing I would do is set the BIOS to
>very conservative memory settings. If I got another lock the next thing I
>would do is swap out the RAM. But if the locks stopped I would wait a week
>to make sure it was OK and then I would start speeding up the settings one
>at a time.
>
>Rode
>The NOSPIN Group
>

>>Somehow I got my system to turn back on when it freezes, BUT it still freezes
>>every couple of hours. There doesn't seem to be a reason for it to freeze. I
>>can watch DVD's, run it through benchmarks, and everything, but then for no
>>reason !BAM! the computer just locks up. At first I thought the system was
>>working, so I went into the bios and turned everything from fail-safe to
>>optimised and it locked up just a few minutes after going into windows. What
>>would you reccomend I do to find out what is wrong? There doesn't seem to be
>>anything else wrong, it runs fantastic until it suddenly freezes. Like I said
>>in an earlier message, the temp isn't very high. Any help would be
>>appreciated.
>>Thank you.

Alright I tried swapping out memory, locked up. Tried turning off all optimisations in the BIOS (this is an Abit KT7A, lots of optimisations) lasted for quite a long time (about 6 hours or so), but still locked up. I'm kind of wondering if something (besides the CPU) is overheating (maybe the Northbridge, 7200RPM hard drive?) because after that first lock up it locked up like another three times in the next hour! Here is all the specks of my system: Addtronics 6896A Case w/ 300watt PS, 850MHz AMD Thunderbird, Monster 2 heatsink and thermal grease from ocz.safeshopper.com, Abit KT7A motherboard, Tonicom 128MB PC166 memory, Sound Blaster Live!, Matrox Millenium G450 video card, Maxtor 20GB 7200RPM HDD, and Windows2000. I'm not overclocking. Do you know of any incompatibilities or whatever between these? I belive I have all the latest drivers for everything and I just flashed the BIOS. Any ideas would be appreciated, I want to have this system working flawlessly and be able to optimise the BIOS to use the sytems full capabilities. Thank you very much.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml