From:
"Dean K. Kukral" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:21:39 -0500
"Drivers" are low-level programs that allow the operating system, VISTA, to
communicate with the hardware.  As such, they are dependent on both the
operating system and the hardware.  Some drivers are relatively generic,
such as cd drivers, because industry-wide standards have been enacted.
However, not all drivers that are included in the older operating system
will necessarily work with your newer hardware.  Generally speaking, when
you upgrade your operating system, the drivers for your old hardware are
well-known to the new operating system and may be included on the
installation disk, or readily available from the manufacturer.  (Although
the VISTA drivers for my HP printer do not exist.)  However, when you
backtrack from VISTA to the older operating system, the drivers for the
newer hardware may not be available.  Your success in loading XP onto your
newer computer and making it work properly is not assured.  However, if you
MUST use XP because you are using software or external hardware that does
support VISTA, then you have little choice.  Either try to use XP - which
will in all likelyhood work, but you will need to provide proper drivers -
OR use an older computer that is known to run XP well.

HTH

Dean Kukral