From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 07:43:25 -0400
I have had Win 98 since it came out, and routinely use ctrl/alt/del to shutdown stuff running in the background before I do installations or disk defrags.  I wrote an article about it for www.pcwin.com a couple of years ago.  No one has ever mentioned to me that ctrl/alt/del will shut down your computer on the first hit on any version of Win 9x.  Maybe if you press them and hold them down that happens, although I've never heard that either.  I do it by holding down ctrl/alt, then tapping delete, which always brings up the dialog box showing running apps.  I learn something new every day.

>I appreciate your response, but I don't think you're totally
>familiar with what I'm referring to.  I visit many computers in
>my line of work, some of which are Integtra's, Compaq's, American
>Computer, a lot of clone mfg's  etc.  I'm referring to a general
>phenomena that I notice mostly on AT type computers that many of
>them respond to Ctrl+alt+del, mainly with Win95 or later (not Win
>3.1) running with a shutdown immediately.   <Blip>  whatever
>programs are open, unsaved files...etc you had open is gone with
>shutdown upon one depression of those series of keys.
>
>Dan
>

>> It would be helpful to have some facts about your machine and
>the operating
>> system being used.  Those details do make a differance.  For
>instance, in
>> DOS and Windows 3.x, cntl-alt-del is supposed to reboot the
>> machine.  That's the way the Wintel architecture was set up.
>In Win 95,
>> that same combination brough up the task manager, which you are
>apparently
>> looking for.  So, what are you running, and what are you
>running it on?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml