From:
Len Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 May 1998 22:12:17 +0100
"Any AC adapter should work..."

Caution: what you need to know about a substitute power adaptor is:-

* AC to AC (AC/AC), _or_ AC to DC (AC/DC)
* input voltage range
* output voltage
* power rating (VA, Watts or output current)
* type of connector and, if AC to DC, the _polarity_

No-one has said whether this is AC/AC or AC/DC but most multi-voltage
AC adapters sold for small appliances such as radios are AC/DC.

Last time I looked at a USR external modem (Sportster)
it was 9V _AC_ input - I don't know what yours is.

9V AC would have a peak voltage of about 13V so 9V DC input
would be too low, but that doesn't mean a 13V AC/DC adaptor
would work, because it is possible the AC input is rectified
to positive and negative supplies (RS232 requires both) which
wouldn't work from a DC input.

Len Warner <[log in to unmask]> WWW Pager http://wwp.mirabilis.com/10120933