From:
Shelley Sterling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 21:18:12 -0600
[log in to unmask] wrote:
 I'm having problems using my modem to sign on to 2 online services
 I use after upgrading my computer from Windows 95 to Windows 98
(NetZero and Juno internet).  I think it may have something to do with
Microsoft's Dial-Up Networking.  I never had any problems before I
upgraded.

Here's what the modem does...I can call the services through the modem,
and I do hear the modems communicating with each other, then it just
stops.... It's really strange because I also belong to America Online
and it still works fine.  TIA.
   herb channell

AOL doesn't use any of your Windows settings; you have AOL's software
configured for your com port and modem type, and these settings weren't
touched by upgrading to Win98, so it still works.

Your other two services handshake but hang; this sounds like you have
the wrong modem type configured for these two services. I'm not familiar
with either, but if they use Windows settings, check to see what modem
type they are using, and make sure it is correct. If installing Win98
involved re-detecting your hardware, you may need to reinstall your
modem if it was incorrect in identifying it. It might help to know what
kind of modem you have, and what shows up in device manager; if you had
to install drivers from a disk for your modem, you may need to reinstall
those drivers from disk.

Good luck!
Shelley Sterling

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html