From:
Eric Wertman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 15:54:24 -0400
Hello all:

I am building an inexpensive system for a relative, mostly out of pieces I
have lying around.  The piece I am questioning is an Intel SE440BX board.  I
initially assembled the system, It posted upon power on, but gave me a
configuration has changed error message. Since It had, I just entered CMOS,
saved the changes and exited, thinking that this would clear the error.
Over the course of the evening, the error message continously returned, and
the POST process continued to take longer and longer (by midnight, it was a
full 15 minutes before the machine would finish and let me continue with
boot.)  I tried removing all non-essential devices and drives, but this did
not affect the POST time or error message.

As background, this is a board I used for some time myself, and I had
inserted a custom OEM logo for a splash screen.  This logo dissapeared, and
the defaul Intel logo began appearing.  I attempted to flash the bios, which
failed, giving me the error that the BIOS version was incorrect (not the
case, the exact BIOS version I had previously used on the board).  After the
failure, I had to jumper the board to recover the BIOS from a floppy. It
worked, and I attempted to flash the thing again.  Another failure.  Now
when I try to recover the BIOS, it beeps once, and accesses the floppy, but
will not pull the BIOS.  I have assumed that the  flash ROM is toast, but I
am a little concerned, since the power supply I have is a cheap 250 watt one
that is not UL approved.  While I am sure that the motherboard is gone, will
this occur again with another board if the PS is flaky?

Sorry for the long post, but Ideas, comments, and information are more than
welcome.  TIA

Eric Wertman

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions