Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 14:47:11 -0400
Hello everybody,

A friend of mine is having a problem with his computer (P3-600,
128Mb of RAM, Video: Asus GeForce256 6800 Deluxe 32Mb DDR, TTX
17" #1785 monitor and an Asus P3V4X (133MHz) Motherboard).

I have installed Win 98 SE on his computer (just as I do on every
other system I sell) and everything seemed to work fine until he
called me, telling me his computer was freezing EVERY single time
he was putting it in Standby Mode (or whenever the COMPUTER
ITSELF went in Standby Mode after some inactivity).  What happens
exactly is when you tap the spacebar to "restart" the fans and
everything, the Windows desktop appears in part and the mouse is
frozen... or freezes after a few seconds.

I've tried the following without any success:
- I updated the GeForce driver with Asus' latest Beta (since he's
playing Diablo 2 and he needs the latest version and it is still
in the Beta stages)
- In the BIOS: I *disabled* the "Video Off" mode when computer is
in "Standby" (since I thought this could be related to the video
card or driver)
- In the Power Management option in the Control Panel, I chose to
"NEVER" turn off hard disks, only turn off the monitor after 15
minutes.
- In the Device Manager : I made sure his monitor was "Plug and
Play Monitor".

If I put his system in Standby Mode for a few seconds, everything
is fine after tapping the spacebar to reactivate it, but when it
is in Standby Mode for 1 minute or so, we have to press the RESET
button because the CTRL-ALT-DEL combo doesn't work and the mouse
is frozen.

Any ideas??

Thank you very much in advance,

Stephane Vaillancourt