From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:13:45 -0500
> The computer detected the internal PCI hardware modem and it
> installed OK, but won't dial out with my Earthlink ISP or even
> with the dial pad. The computer doesn't see the modem. Keep
> getting a message that says the modem is not installed correctly,
> not turned on or in use by another program. Device manager
> properties tell me the modem is working fine with no conflicts.
>
> Went to a web site called 'modemsite.com' and clicked on modem
> survey. Actual address is 'modemsite.com/56k/_56surd.asp?int'
> Most of the reports on this Intel HaM modem are real bad. I am
> running an Intel Pentium 133 MHz CPU, 66 MHz bus with 32 MB ram.
> I know it is an old slow machine but I have never had problems
> installing modems before. I use to have an ISA 33.6 K modem in it
> that worked fine.
>
> Has anyone had a good experience with this modem?
> Any help or comments that anyone can give would be fine.

        As odd as it might sound it may be the speed and age of the your system
that prevents you from using that modem. I'm not familiar with that model
however almost all PCI modems these days are not real modems, they are
simply pieces of hardware that let your CPU act like a modem. This is great
from a cost perspective but hell to get working right since it means you
need the software drivers working 100% for anything to happen. This modem
uses your CPU to do most of the work, and since you've got a "slow" CPU it's
very likely it can't keep up. If possible try to return the modem and look
for a "hardware" modem, one that does all it's processing onboard.
Unfortunately those types of modems are getting harder and harder to find.
The easiest hardware modem to find would be an external, SERIAL modem (stay
away from USB modems, they are worse then internal PCI modems). Hope this
helps. TTYL

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com