Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 09:46:47 +0000
ÿHi.

> A Cassel wrote:

> > Hi all,

> > I just finished installing a new HD on my Compaq CDS 982, and other than

> > a few little problems (resolved by our wonderful moderators), it went

> > smoothly.  I did a clean install of Win95A (since updated w/ service

> > pack1, and font smoother), but my CD doesn't show in DOS.  When trying

> > to access it in DOS I get;

> > C:\>L:\

> > Invalid drive specification

> > C:\>

> > L is my CD drive and the old Config.sys still accessible in the now D:

> > drive contains the statement;

> > DEVICEHIGH. /L:2,14832 =C:\CPQDOS\CPQIDECD.SYS / D:IDECDOO1

> > My new config.sys from the clean install makes no statement concerning

> > the CD.

> That is part of why DOS can not see the CD.  You need to add that

> statement back in to your new config.sys  -AND-  you need to add

> the MSCDEX statement from your old AUTOEXEC.BAT to the new one.

> It takes both pieces for DOS to "see" a CD drive.

> Where to put the driver file?  It doesn't matter as long as the

> statement in your config.sys points to it.  So why not just put

> it back where it was... C:\CPQDOS\CPQIDECD.SYS

> --

> Jim Meagher

> =====

ÿIn W95 the CD should be served by W95, in W95 and in its DOS

sessions. CPQIDECD/MSCDEX in CONFIG/AUTOEXEC are not needed at all

(except with first installation).

ÿIf you want the CD when "Restarting in DOS mode", W95 gives you

an entry point, as Roxanne points out: DOSSTART.BAT. Since CPQIDECD.SYS

has to be inserted into the drivers chain, you need an utility to do

it: you can try DRVLOAD, at PC Magazine (www.pcmag.com), or CTLOAD at

Creative (www.creaf.com).

ÿIf you interrupt W95 boot (F8), and go into command mode only

you can access the CD also running DOSSTART manually.

ÿSee below an example (part of DOSSTART.BAT):

@C:\WIN95\COMMAND\choice /ccdn /td,5 "¿CTLOAD o DRVLOAD para CD, o sin CD?"

@if errorlevel==3 goto sincd

@if errorlevel==2 goto siga1

@set LOADER=C:\PROGRA~1\SBCD\DOSDRV\CTLOAD

@goto siga2

:siga1

@set LOADER=E:\util\drvLOAD

:siga2

@echo Uso LOADER=%LOADER% para CD

@%LOADER% C:\PROGRA~1\SBCD\DOSDRV\SBIDE.SYS /D:MSCD001 /V /P:1E8,11

@C:\WIN95\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 /V /M:8 /l:m

:sincd

Javier Vizcaino. Ability Electronics. [log in to unmask]

Starting point:        (-1)^(-1) = -1

Applying logarithms: (-1)*ln(-1) = ln(-1)

Since ln(-1) <> 0, dividing:  -1 = 1

     (ln(-1) is complex, but exists)