From:
Robin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 22:26:18 -0500
Well, the network setup attempt was unsuccessful. Again, here's the arrangement: 2 PCs - one running Windows 98 and one running Windows  ME. A DSL modem and Linksys Ethernet DSL router (BEFSR41). Cat5 Ethernet cables for all connections - straight through - if I hold the ends side by side (clip down) the wires are exactly the same from left to right. Everything is connected correctly - router to modem, PCs to router. DSL modem is DHCP and the 2 PCs are set to use DHCP. I cannot get either PC to communicate with the router so that it can be configured. I can't even ping the IP address (192.168.1.1) of the router. We tried different cables, different ports on the router. Linksys wanted me to upgrade the firmware for the router since the link light for the port that the PC is connected to is blinking green instead of steady green. However, I was unable to download the file this evening from their website. Will try again tomorrow. In the meantime, outside of something being wrong with the router, is there anything obvious that I am missing?

Thanks,
Robin

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml