From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 12:11:30 -0600
----------
> From: Robert Turnbull <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [PCBUILD] Upgrading P100
> Date: Wednesday, January 13, 1999 9:31 AM
>
> The manual states that the motherboard DOES NOT support  Dual Power
> Plane CPUs. The manual also states that the motherboard supports one
> Pentium 75MHz thru 200MHz.

The 166MHz and 200MHz Intel Pentiums both came in non-MMX and MMX versions.
 The fact that the motherboard does not support dual-power plane CPUs means
that you cannot use MMX CPUs.  Unfortunately, the price for a non-MMX CPU
is much higher than for an equivalent MMX CPU.

> This leaves me confused. Can I safely assume that this manual describes
> my motherboard? Does it really mean that I can simply plug in a Pentium
> 200 chip? How does this all fit with the previous discussion?

Yes, you can just replace the CPU and change the appropriate jumpers so the
motherboard knows it has a faster CPU.  No other changes are needed.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html