From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:39:05 -0700
  Putting both of them on the same controller should work for most purposes.
 The one exception I can think of is if you want to try to directly copy
from one to the other -- that's likely to work better if they're on
different channels.

  I've used sound cards with up to three connectors for DVD/CD drives,  So
far as I know, these are just to route disc sound, decoded by the drive, out
to the speakers connected to the sound card -- you retain the option of
plugging a small set of powered speakers or headphones into the front of the
drive, or playing the drive contents through an application such as Media
Player.

David Gillett

On 8 Sep 2005 at 18:58, Edward A, Black, Sr. wrote:

> I am in a quandry.  I had planned to have a CD-ROM and a CD-RW in my new
> computer [I am constantly in my current computer, which has only one
> CD-ROM drive, switching 2 CD-Roms back and forth as I research data].
> The idea of having a CD-ROM and a CD-RW was so [1.] I would not have to
> constantly switch back and forth between 2 CD-Rom disks and [2.]  I
> would have CD-rom burning ability if I needed.   I was going to use the
> CD-RW as a master and the CD-ROM as a slave on the IDE cable.  The CD-RW
> was a 52x24x52.  Both units are IDE units.
>
> However when I received my new CD-ROM, it turned out to actually be a
> CD-R/RW at 52x32x52.
>
> I have some questions:
>
> Will having a CD-RW and a CD-R/RW  work together?  If so which would
> best be set as a 'master' and which as a 'slave'?   I figured the
> 52x32x52 would be a master and the 52x24x52 as a slave, but I need to
> know if that would work.   I would hook the sound card up to the master
> unit.  I do not see how the slave unit can also be hooked up to a sound
> card unless a second sound card is used.
>
> What is the difference between a CD-RW and a CD-R/RW?

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com