From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2003 12:30:59 -0600
At 09:14 AM 5/24/2003, Brendhan Horne wrote:
>I have a 60 gig Western Digital drive that was part of a usb attachment. Recently I
>tried to access it and I got "E:\ is not accessible I/O device error." I tried it
>directly connected to the IDE cable coming off the motherboard. and got the same
>thing.  My question is. How can I retrive the data on the drive even if the drive is toast?

If you have double checked that the cables are good and your jumper
settings on the drive are correct, than it is a good chance the drive has
gone bad.  I have numerous articles on our website about working with
hard drives and diagnosing problems in the "Troubleshooting Basics"
feature:  http://freepctech.com/troubleshooting/

The only recourse to getting your data off the drive if you
cannot access it using the PC is to send it to a data recovery company.
This is not cheap...   actually it is very expensive.  But, if the data is
worth paying the price, here is a good list of data recovery companies:

CBL Data Recovery Technologies Inc.
Phone: 1-800-551-3917 or
1-905-479-9938
Fax: 1-905-479-1515