From:
"Richard T." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 09:17:48 -0500
Mary:
        Do It!! you will really be thrilled at how easy it is once you start!
It's also exciting when you plug it in and the first screen comes up.. I've
built several  and I still get a "kick" out of it.Plus.. The "bragging rights"
are a lot of fun too!
  As far as good components..you cannot go wrong with certain brands of mobo's
such as :Asus, FIC,Shuttle, etc. Just get the newest technology at the
time,regardless if you use socket 7 or p2.Avoid the "cheapies" not because
there's usually a problem, but more because you want clear directions.If you go
for a socket 7,you may want to try a jumperless (tx style) board. As far as the
other stuff., use name brands also for this first machine. Do not be embarrased
to ask about compatibility, the seller should know, or look for a different
seller. Best bet is to go to a local computer show. if you're in the US, you
may want to check in with http://marketpro.com    They're shows have been
reliable to me. There are many others as good, though.
   Remember to ground yourself often (by touching the metal case or using a
static strip), especially if you're up here in the north with cold weather,
heat produces dryness which produces static electricity
Good luck & happy building!
Rich Tabas
Philly, Pa

Mary Elise Zimlich wrote:

> Y'all have convinced me to try and build my own computer. Can you give some
> recommendations for what to read/where to go to decide just *what*
> motherboard, case, sound card, etc. I need to buy? I know nothing about
> what are good components and what are not. I don't mind doing some
> research, I just don't know where to start.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html