Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 09:41:39 +0100
Hello,

---snip----
>Any help and direction would be grteatly appreciated. Don't want to
>lose another monitor

Barring really weird circumstances and events, I am prone to think that
you just had bad luck. I buy and install between 15 and 30 monitors each
year. One or two of them are DOA (dead on arrival), 2 or 3 have a defect
of one kind or other that means I have to return them, and 2 or 3 of
them will die before the guarantee period (usually 1 year here in
Germany) is up. These are not cheapies, but Eizo (Nanao), Idek (Iiyama),
MAG and other better brands, mostly top of the line with Trinitron (or
Diamondtron) CRTs.

Most modern monitors will run on anything from 100-250 VAC 50-60 Hz line
voltage. The power supplies are usually built to take high transient
peaks. On the signal input end, unless you have a short to some
high-voltage source, there should be no way that the signal output of a
graphic card will permanently damage a modern monitor. Almost all modern
monitors will handle anything a normal graphic card can produce, or
simply shut down if the signal goes out of sync range.

Your description of the "clicking" as if there is a high-voltage arc
makes it appear relatively evident that the monitor itself just went
belly up (possibly a short in the flyback transformer).

If you have the resources, you can connect the next monitor to another
computer that you know has been working without problem first, let it
run and test it under those circumstances before you connect it to the
computer you have had the trouble with. This is probably not necessary,
but can't hurt either.

Hope this is of some use.

Good luck,

Bruce

--
        Bruce Boschek - Haus Christiansruh - Nidda, Germany
[log in to unmask] - CompuServe ID 100331,2566