From:
Larry Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 20:54:35 -0600
Roger;
I suspect a pack-bell of this vintage may have  hard drive overlay software
installed.
As in possible cause 2. "Third party disk partitioning software"
Also do check for a boot sector virus in Dos. I use a norton emergency disk
or F-prot anti-virus on a floppy.
Try booting from "Ez drive" (or the current incarnation "data lifeguard")
from western digital or "max blast" from maxtor.
you can download these from www.westerndigital.com or www.maxtor.com
You will have to have access to another computer with internet access.
Or you may have a friend with the a kicking around, most retail hard drives
come with a overlay disk.
By booting with this software on a floppy,  your hard drive should be
recognized and you may be able
to restore the overlay boot partition on it.
It doesn't  often work for me, I usually just reformat and  reinstall, but
you will lose all the data on the drive.
This is the main reason I prefer not to use overlay proggies as they can
screw things up and lose your data.
But some older machines don't recognize larger hard drives, so I still
ocassionally am forced to use them.
You might consider up-grading your ram to at least 32 mb as windows 95 is
reported to need around 12 mb just
to run it alone.