From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:04:03 -0800
  Odds are that the only information about your current router that you
computer uses is its address as the "default gateway".  If you configure the
new router to use the same addresses as the old one, you shouldn't have to
change anything on the PC.

  Your new router will have different *hardware* addresses than the old one.
Since the PC only caches the mapping from IP address to hardware address for
about 30 seconds, it will start using the new device before you know it.
  It's *possible* that your broadband provider has associated your existing
hardware ("MAC") address with your line on their side.  Most of these small
devices allow you to configure the address, precisely so you can match an
existing address in case your provider does this.  So you may want to at
least find and record the old router's MAC address before you shut it down,
and if the new one can't connect, you may need to configure it to use that
address.

David Gillett